I am working on my girl, slowly but surely. After my last post, I added color for her hair. This took a couple layers of watercolor. I wanted to use a different color from the color palette I have used so far, so I chose yellows and orange with a bit of brown and black for shading. I used similar colors for her eyebrows but chose to make them a bit darker.
After adding the hair, I felt I needed to add something else.
The first thing I did was take out my Prisma Colored pencils and add some more shading to her face and a bit of blush to her cheeks. I softened her chin more.
With the puppy looking up, I needed to add something for him to be looking at. I like using napkins for collage and I had some with flowers, butterflies and birds, so I decided to get them out and see what would go well. I chose the hummingbird and a flower. They were in similar colors to what I had used. I had forgotten to take apart the layers before using matte medium to adhere them to the surface but that was okay. I didn’t really want the background showing through them. Leaving the layers intact, the napkins were sturdier but also took a bit more to glue them down. In some areas, I had to add matte medium between the layers because they were lifting a bit.
Once the collage was dry, I used colored pencils to add some color to make the flower and bird pop out more. I also added some white ink from my Signo pen and some black ink from a Uni-ball Air pen. I attempted some eyelashes with the black pen but I’m not crazy about them. I need to practice more with creating eyelashes.
The more I work on her the more I see some of the things I would have changed if I noticed them before adding color that couldn’t be removed or changed. Her chin is definitely off center and one eye is higher than the other. I might be able to fix the eyebrow that is smaller and make it slightly larger.
I need to learn to look closer at the sketch to see if I can find these things before adding paint. Some paint can be adjusted but once more layers are added the harder it is to make any major changes.
Despite these little things, I am happy with how it is turning out. I want to do more with the background, just not sure what right now. Probably use some stencils to add some visual texture. This is where I can go really wrong if I’m not careful in choosing the right colors. I have overworked backgrounds before by doing too much to them and I don’t want to do that with this one.